Ulverstone is a town on the north coast of Tasmania, Australia, at the mouth of the River Leven in Bass Strait. It lies on the Bass Highway, 21 kilometers (13 mi) west of Devonport and 12 kilometers (7 mi) east of Penguin. As of June 2021, Ulverstone has an urban population of 11,613, making it Tasmania's largest town. The town is part of the Central Coast Council district, which includes Penguin, Turners Beach, Leith, Gawler and surrounding areas, and Forth. The town area was first settled by Europeans in 1848, when Andrew Risby, his wife Louisa, and their five young children settled and developed farmland from what was mostly jungle wilderness. deserted. Andrew and Louisa arrived in Adelaide, South Australia in 1839 as a newlywed from their ancestral town of Horsley, Gloucestershire in England. The first of their five children was born in Adelaide. Soon after the birth of their second child, they moved to Tasmania. In 1841, they reached River Forth, where 19-year-old James Fenton had pioneered shortly before their arrival. After clearing the land and practicing subsistence farming for a few years, they were evicted from their "patch" following a land dispute with a wealthy speculator and moved west. At the time, the county was known as "the Leven" and was recognized as a source of good quality timber with a climate similar to that in England. When their fifth child, Andrew Risby jnr. At the age of 2, the Risby family moved and settled on a piece of land known as The Rises on the southeastern rim of the present Ulverstone town boundary, where they had farmed for many years. Descendants of this pioneer family still live in the neighborhood. During the 1850s, the area welcomed a number of new settlers but was also frequented by woodworkers. Timber has found ready markets in Melbourne, which was in great need of quality lumber during the Victorian Gold Rush. Until June 1854, parcels of land in the county were often purchased under "prior title law" by distant buyers with the intention of keeping the land for later sale at a higher price. With the repeal of this law, settlement conditions for settlers have improved. The name Ulverstone was first used in 1854 when Hugh Ross McKay opened the Ulverstone store. Leven Post Office opened on 30 May 1857 and was renamed Ulverstone Post Office in 1881. Ulverstone was approved by Governor H.E. Fox-Young was declared a town on February 22, 1861. Regular rainfall and generally good soil quality have created favorable conditions for the development of agricultural activities. The early pioneers in the district struggled and struggled to sustain themselves and eventually develop income through selling their products. Ulverstone grew quite rapidly during the 1890s, and the town became the focal point between two towns on the northwest coast, Burnie and Devonport. It is named after Ulverston in England, which is also located at the mouth of the River Leven. Ulverston in England was spelled Ulverstone until the late 19th century. From 1915 to 1955, a branch railway ran from Ulverstone to Nietta, transporting mainly timber for the Burnie pulp mill. Find and hire a top agency or company for your next big project related to Digital Marketing, Advertising, Social Media Marketing, Content Writing, Market Research, PR, Email Marketing, Mobile App Development, Web Design, Web application development, Media Planning and many more in Australia and other countries on AgencyNetwork.